The eight hectare Polish Hill vineyard is at 460 metres altitude and just five kilometres from Springvale as the crow flies (but eleven kilometres by car). The infertile, shaley soil is slightly acidic and its topsoil has a clay and shale crust. The vines have to work harder than those at Springvale and so produce smaller distinctly flavoured and concentrated berries.
The 2013 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling has attractive lemongrass and lime citrus aromas with some minerally notes. The same bottle, three days later, showed significantly more voluminous aromatics that are captivating and rare for such a youthful Polish Hill. The flavours are tight, fine and dry and show schisty minerality and bright lime zest flavours. It has the complexity and intensity that you’d expect: precise, detailed and clearly focused. There’s some surprising softness there that is appealing with impeccable balance on its vibrant, zingy, dry finish.
General Cellaring Guide: Enjoy now, or cellar six to fifteen years.
Release Date: 1 September 2013
- 33rd vintage. Ripe, succulent, very very bright and compact fruit. Like an over-packed suitcase, the flavour is just waiting to burst out. Needs a good deal of time. A tangible, undeniable mineral character here– slate, granite. Drink 2016-2033 18.5/20 points Jancis Robinson, www.jancisrobinson.com/tasting_articles/ta20130926.html, 4 December 2013Read more
- Very fine and fresh; limey and precise. There’s a bit of grapefruit, too. Lean, fresh, dry and so mineral this has lovely weight. Lively, bright and with great acidity, it avoids being austere. Less showy than the Springvale, but with more substance and mineral depth, and a bit more concentration. 94 points Jamie Goode’s wine blog, www.wineanorak.com, 4 ...Read more
- The big question that divides the great rieslings from the also-rans of the Clare and Eden Valleys in 2013 is that of the skill of their makers in handling this warm and dry season, expressed most evidently in phenolic structure. The outcome is a greater disparity of house style and quality than the even 2012 ...Read more
- Light straw-green; has a degree of perfumed fragrance that immediately sets it apart from the other ’13 Clare Valley rieslings, and a thrilling burst of hyper-intense lime/slate fruit. Despite these pyrotechnics, the wine has the elegance of the finest china. Yet another example of the riesling mastery of Jeffrey Grosset. Drink to 2030 with King ...Read more
- This wine shows that a hero is as much about the alchemy that arises from the component pieces, as the component pieces themselves. It is a symphonic combination of site, variety, viticulture and pristine winemaking. Winemaker Jeffrey Grosset is known to many as a perfectionist. His wines are often described as precise, perfect, pure, sublime and brilliant. In addition to his pristine winemaking ...Read more
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2012
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2011
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2010
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2009
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2008
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2007
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2006
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2005
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2004
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2003
- Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2002